Saturday, February 7, 2009

Hiatus: noun (hi-a-tus)
1. A gap, a suspension, an interruption in the intensity in space, time or continuity.
2. A slight pause that occurs when two immediately adjacent vowels in consecutive syllables are pronounced as in “reality” and “naïve”
3. A separation, aperture, fissure, or short passage in an organ or body part.

In my situation, the first definition applies. We call an interruption in our job/career status a hiatus, in the entertainment industry. It can be by choice or by force. In the case of hmmm…let’s say J.J. Abrams, Cate Blanchett, Michel Gondry, Kanye West amongst many more successful entertainment artists and/or executives, it’s by choice. As for myself and many, many, many, many others with less credits under our belts, force or lack of work is our story. So with that being said, I can justify my “Lebowski-esque” days thus so far and not feel so loser-ish.

Today I had lunch with a friend, who fortunately is blessed with a job, in this industry…unfortunately, his name was not Johnny, Brad or Kanye ☺ Anyways… I told him that I had exhausted my free time on the internet having researched everything I could from Apples to Zebras. After giggling at my predicament, which it’s not as cruel as you think.  This has been a natural occurrence in my life every year or every other year since I graduated from college, so he suggested I start a blog, for the following reasons.

A) it would keep me busy
B) it would get me out of my apartment and off the computer (other than to shoot out resumes and upload content onto this blog)
C) it’s something creative I can do to kill time (I guess creative would be subjective in this case)
D) everyone does it, so why not.

So here's my first entry. I can honestly say it’s kinda fun and waaaay more productive (as productive as one can be without a job, again subjective) than logging on to Facebook and Astrologyzone everyday. Oh, don’t get me wrong, I will still check my Facebook but just not as often. ☺

The day started with me waking up, and not wanting to get out of bed. I have no idea why, when I didn’t do anything last night but watch “Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist” and “Man On Wire” with my neighbors. Both were GREAT by the way, so NETFLIX them! Continuing with my day, I ended up rolling out of my warm comfortable bed around 11am followed by mass texts to a few of my people I haven’t seen in a minute to have lunch. Eureka! My friend that lives in Los Feliz took the bait! Thanks! But as I look back was it because I was a willing participant in driving him around to run errands… hmmmm, owell, it’s ok, I wasn’t doing anything anyways.  We had a delicious lunch at Pazzaz Sushi a fairly priced restaurant on Hyperion Ave. in Silverlake near  Trader Joe’s. Then walked to the “Coffee Table” around the corner on Rowena for, you guessed it...coffee. On the way back to the car, we made a few stops and with that being said...Here are my mobile-uploads for today:


A shoe repair shop with an infinite amount of styles for Converse.  


Walking back to the car on Hyperion Blvd., the clouds caught one eye while the sun blinded the other.  Oh no worries, I'm ok now.


Chevron Station on Highland and Franklin.
 On the road, back home.  Picked up my neighbor from work, since I don't have a job.  I just wanted to see how it felt driving to and from a workplace... I'm beginning to forget what that feels like.  I also tend to be more observant of the gas prices, being on a budget and all, so this photo seemed appropriate at the moment.

0 comments: